If you’re not using direct mail to connect with prospects, you’re missing out.
If you told me 10 years ago that I’d be working at a print shop, I would have thought you were crazy. But after 10 years of marketing trends landsliding to digital media, the mailbox – the old-fashioned one – reveals a real opportunity for engagement with print.
I used to get really excited when my emails saw a 1% response rate…
Did you know that the average direct mail piece yields a 5.1% response rate? –compu-mail
That’s right, direct mail delivers more than five times the response rate compared to email.
But this shouldn’t be too surprising. Things get really exciting when you take into account the sensory experience of interacting with mail… the touch and feel of the paper stock now paired with the images and text. When you put your brand in the mail, prospects can actually feel it.
And if you’ve caught their attention – if the look and feel are good – they’re going to hold on to that piece of mail.
So how do your catch their attention? How does your mailing win a place on their desk or their kitchen counter? A few tips:
- Make it personal. We do it in our emails; Hi *|FNAME|*… But don’t stop there. Use that valuable data you’ve been collecting to really speak to the individual. Variable data print technology means you can customize entire paragraphs of text, images, and more based on your market segments.
- Make it stand out. Use oversized envelopes or postcards, soft touch papers, texture and spot varnishing to make your mailing different than the rest.
- Make it memorable. Repetition is key to any campaign. Use multiple mailings to deliver your campaign message. I recommend at least three to help recipients process:
- Who you are
- Why they care
- What they can do about it
- Make it clear. Know what you are trying to say, edit your messaging, and include a call to action on every piece of mail.
- Make it measurable. Be thoughtful in where you are driving traffic. Create a custom landing page or a unique phone number so that you can track your results.
- Make it count. Use those results when it’s time to repeat the process. The answers are in the data. Test and test again until you find the formula that works for you.
Let’s plan a direct mail strategy that will help you connect with more clients and prospects.
Give us a call at (916) 447-6387
The TC Printing Concierge Team